Thursday, March 5, 2009
Celebration of Teaching Conference
This Friday and Saturday (March 6th and 7th), the Celebration of Teaching Conference will be hosted at the Hilton New York in Manhattan. It will feature many different workshops and seminars on different content areas and issues in teaching. For ESL teachers, there are a number of helpful seminars and workshops that will be given. They are as follows: Developing Vocabulary in English Language Learners (ELLs), Teacher's Collaboration for ELL achievement, and Guideline for the assessment of ELLs. For more information about the conference and registration information, visit their website: http://thirteencelebration.org.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi Lauren
ReplyDeleteI read with great interest the article on students with an autism spectrum disorder (ASD). I am not sure if others are seeing it in their schools but I find that within the last 2 years I have begun to see quite a few students with varying forms of ASD applying to the university. I usually have to interview them and it is always difficult when I have to explain to a parent that we are unable to register their son or daughter. While our Counselors are able to interface with the 'ASD students' the average faculty member is not and this compounds the already varying ability levels in the class.
If this is as prevalent a situation as it appears to be, then maybe within the Bachelor's Teaching Degrees or Teaching Certificate programs there should be a course that addresses such learning challenges for all teachers. It is something I am going to ask our Counselors to introduce as a training component of our Professional Development slate for faculty.